There’s no time like early summer to start tackling some items on that home maintenance checklist. In the summer, we tend to have a few extra hours, so we suggest taking advantage of this time by tackling some chores. There are all sorts of little things you can do to spruce up your home, both inside and out, before the weather gets too warm. Here’s a quick list of projects you can do to spruce up your home and keep it clean.
- Garage - remove old paints and flammables, organize for summer activities
- Fences - repair and paint
- HVAC - vacuum & dust
- Garbage disposal - crush ice (sharpens), baking soda & citrus fruit rinds (freshens)
- Fridge - test door tightness (use a dollar bill & pull it out of fridge after closing door on it)
- Windows & doors - inspect for proper operation and any screens for repairs.
- Sump pump - be sure it is operating properly & install battery backup
- Roof - inspect for for loose, ripped, missing and or worn out shingles.
- Swap out seasonal clothes and bedding
- Turn over mattresses
- Create a summer car emergency kit: fill a container or box with bug spray, bug bite relief, sunblock, hats, and an umbrella. Keep an extra gallon of water to make sure everyone stays hydrated while on the road.
- keep your raised beds and container gardens moist
- deadhead spring blooms
- plant sun-loving herb seeds like basil, chives, thyme, and sage
Your home in the summer should be a place of relaxation and enjoyment. By taking steps to properly and regularly maintain your house, it will remain a source of pleasure for years to come. Let us know what is on your list this month!