With each passing day of sweltering temperatures and sweaty evenings spent grilling out on the patio, you’re probably feeling more and more mentally prepared for fall. But is your home prepared for the onset of cold weather? It’s helpful to start prepping your home for fall before it actually arrives. Late summer is the ideal time to begin preparing for autumn and the rough weather to come. Use this checklist of essential home maintenance tasks to ensure your house is as ready as you are for the temperatures to drop.
- HVAC - vacuum & dust; shut off, clean, and cover A/C until Spring, have the heating system serviced (always do in fall)
- Garden - rake leaves & dispose of mulch
- Smoke & carbon monoxide detectors - check batteries
- Range hood fan- check & clean
- Garbage disposal - crush ice (sharpens), baking soda and citrus fruit rinds (freshens)
- Plumbing - check for leaks on supply lines to sinks and toilets
- Weatherstripping & windows - check all caulking for separations & cracks, re-caulk
- Fridge - test door tightness (use a dollar bill and pull it out of fridge after closing the door on it.)
- Fireplace & chimney - inspect & clean
Although summer can sometimes drag on, colder weather is just around the corner. Keep these tips in mind so you can keep your home in good shape during the winter months.
Be sure to check in for next month's tips.