With the transition from summer travels to the beginning of a new school year, August can feel like a sudden downshift from the fun of vacation. Stretch out these last days of summer by squeezing in a few more home projects, savoring simple pleasures and, when the time comes, cleaning up the beach toys and preparing the house for a busy fall.
With the late summer heat upon us, our August home maintenance chores focus mainly on indoor tasks as well as some easy maintenance to keep your air conditioning system running right. So crank up your AC, grab some scrub gloves, and get ready to spruce up the following often neglected areas of your home.
- Carpets - clean
- HVAC - vacuum & dust
- Garbage disposal - crush ice (sharpens), baking soda and citrus fruit rinds (freshens)
- Plumbing - check for leaks on supply lines to sinks and toilets
- Doors - tighten and lube bi-fold
- Electrical - test and reset all ground fault circuit interrupter receptacles, check all extension cords
- Water heater - remove water heater residue following the manual
- Check and clean dryer vent, other exhaust vents to exterior of home
And don't forget one of the most important tasks of the summer, and RELAX. It can be surprisingly hard to slow down and simply do nothing, even when you do have a pocket of free time. Go ahead and give yourself permission to let go and take a break.
Tell us - what is on your to-do list this August?