May is great for spring cleaning, or if you started and ran short of time, it's a good time to wrap it up. By now we've started planting and hopefully have our home´s interior tidied up and organized for the next few months. Memorial weekend at the end of the month is typically a great time to do a couple fix-up projects around the yard. When you´re done, a barbecue is a great way to unwind with family and friends!
Here are some things to take care of this month:
- Deck - apply preservative sealer, clean, repair, check bolts, tighten
- House - hose down exterior
- Windows - wash & clean sills, inside & out
- Plant annuals & perennials
- HVAC - vacuum & dust
- Range hood fan - check & clean
- Garbage disposal - crush ice (sharpens), baking soda and citrus fruit rinds (freshens)
- Plumbing - check for leaks on supply lines to sinks and toilets
- Tile - seal the grout (do every 6 months)
- Fire extinguisher - place near kitchen & check charge
Keeping your home properly maintained will not only save you money by increasing the longevity of your appliances and existing structures, but it will also help you become more energy-efficient and save money on your utility bills. These tips merely scratch the surface of the things you can do around your home to keep everything running in tiptop shape.
What other tips can you share for DIY home maintenance?