Outsmart winter weather by making your home inside a clean, cozy and healthy haven. Put a pot of soup on the stove, and get a jump-start on spring cleaning with a whole-house refresh; from the air you breathe to the floors underfoot. While February is the month with the fewest number of days, one of them is of course Valentine’s Day, so show your house some love! Below, you will find several household maintenance chores you can do this month.
- Sinks, shower & tub - repair grout
- Curtains - clean & vacuum
- Window blinds - dust
- Ceiling fans & light fixtures - clean
- HVAC - vacuum & dust
- Garbage disposal - crush ice (sharpens), baking soda and citrus fruit rinds (freshens)
- Plumbing - check for leaks on supply lines to sinks and toilets
- Doors - tighten and lube bi-fold
- Electrical - test and reset all ground fault circuit interrupter receptacles, check all extension cords.
- Basement - deep clean & inspect
- Deep clean your appliances:
- Refrigerator: Remove food and wipe down all surfaces with a mixture of warm water and vinegar. This is a great time to throw out old leftovers and check the expiration dates of condiments. The freezer can also get a quick clean. Use a vacuum to suck up small objects like coffee grounds. Empty ice bins and add a fresh box of baking soda to remove odors.
- Dishwasher: Use plain vinegar on a dry cloth and wipe the edges of the machine that tend to stay dirty. Remove the filter and clean it to remove stuck on food. Sprinkle the inside with baking soda until you’re ready for your next load.
- Washing machine: Clean rubber gaskets and seals with plain vinegar on a cloth. Do a clothes-free cycle with hot water, vinegar and baking soda. Leave washing machine door open for it to dry completely. Check connection points behind the machine to ensure the hoses are in good shape.
Be realistic and start with one room or area at a time. And as always, please stay safe; if you feel uncomfortable, do not understand how to complete a task, etc… please call in a professional.
How many of these chores have you already taken care of?