October is a great month to check off your fall home maintenance tasks before shorter days make outdoor work too difficult. As we transition further into fall, you may have a lot of weekend projects you’re trying to get done before peak holiday season begins. Be sure finish up outdoor projects this month before snow or inclement weather begins.
Below are some important tasks to consider this month:
- Plant new trees and lay sod (good deals this time of year)
- Trim branches and shrubs
- Winterize perrenials, clean annuals out
- Turn off sprinklers and disconnect water hoses (before first freeze)
- Do a thorough cleaning of your patio furniture, barbecue grill, etc… and store them properly for next season.
- Roof and gutters - clear off and check for damage
- Splash blocks - clean
- HVAC - vacuum & dust
- Garbage disposal - crush ice (sharpens) baking soda and citrus fruit rinds (freshens)
- Plumbing - check for leaks on supply lines to sinks and toilets
- Hot water heater - drain and remove sediment
Tick these items off your list this season, and you can rest easy knowing that your home and yard are buttoned up and ready for winter.
Be sure to check in next month for more tips on how to keep your home in great shape.