While you were having fun in the sun this summer, it was no vacation for your house. But with summer retreating and seasons changing, September’s home improvement chores focus on getting your home ready for the cooler weather ahead. So take advantage of these last warm, sunny days to tackle these important tasks in and around your home:
- HVAC - vacuum & dust; shut off, clean, and cover A/C until Spring, have the heating system serviced (always do in fall)
- Garden - rake leaves & dispose of mulch
- Smoke & carbon monoxide detectors - check batteries
- Range hood fan- check & clean
- Garbage disposal - crush ice (sharpens), baking soda and citrus fruit rinds (freshens)
- Plumbing - check for leaks on supply lines to sinks and toilets
- Weatherstripping & windows - check all caulking for separations & cracks, re-caulk
- Fridge - test door tightness (use a dollar bill and pull it out of fridge after closing the door on it.)
- Fireplace & chimney - inspect & clean
Most of the tasks listed above are well within the average person's ability. But even if you choose to have a professional handle them, it's worth the expense. You'll save money -- and maybe even your life.
Be sure to check in next month for more tips on how to keep your home in great shape.