May is that in-between month — that time of year when we adjust to the unpredictable nature of spring and get ready to welcome summer with its longer days, warmer temperatures, and unlimited opportunities for outdoor enjoyment.
Being a month defined by transition, May is an ideal time to take care of basic maintenance inside and outside the house.
Here are some “must-dos” for the month of May:
- Deck - apply preservative sealer, clean, repair, check bolts, tighten
- House - hose down exterior
- Windows - wash & clean sills, inside & out
- Plant annuals & perennials
- HVAC - vacuum & dust
- Range hood fan - check & clean
- Garbage disposal - crush ice (sharpens), baking soda and citrus fruit rinds (freshens)
- Plumbing - check for leaks on supply lines to sinks and toilets
- Tile - seal the grout (do every 6 months)
- Fire extinguisher - place near kitchen & check charge
With the weather too nice to be stuck inside, some of this month’s home maintenance to-do list focuses on getting the outside of your home ready for summer picnics and barbecues. So enjoy the sunshine as you complete these home maintenance tasks!