Fall is in full swing, but before breaking out your Halloween decorations, read on for some important October home maintenance tasks to tackle. We’ve got some great tips to tighten up your house and save you money during the cold weather ahead. With a bit of determination and proper time management skills, these projects are easy enough to spread out over the month:
- Plant new trees and lay sod (good deals this time of year)
- Trim branches and shrubs
- Winterize perrenials, clean annuals out
- Turn off sprinklers and disconnect water hoses (before first freeze)
- Do a thorough cleaning of your patio furniture, barbecue grill, etc… and store them properly for next season.
- Roof and gutters - clear off and check for damage
- Splash blocks - clean
- HVAC - vacuum & dust
- Garbage disposal - crush ice (sharpens) baking soda and citrus fruit rinds (freshens)
- Plumbing - check for leaks on supply lines to sinks and toilets
- Hot water heater - drain and remove sediment
Although autumn can be one of the busiest seasons for homeowners, it’s also the best time to take advantage of the moderate weather to repair any damages before the first frost sets in. . You don’t want to spend thousands of dollars in the spring on repairs or, worse, huddle in blankets during the winter while waiting for an emergency repair job.
Be sure to check in next month for more tips on how to keep your home in great shape.